W. Kerr Scott Dam and Reservoir is a manmade lake located in the Yadkin River Valley. The project is operated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, primarily for the purpose of flood control and water supply. Between the years of 1929 and 1959, there were many studies completed by the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers to determine the best type of dam to control the waters of the Yadkin River and attempt to forego any further destruction from floods such as the ones that devastated Wilkesboro in 1886, 1916, and 1940. Wilkesboro Dam and Reservoir was authorized for construction by the Flood Control Act on July 24, 1946.
Construction of The Wilkesboro Dam and Reservoir began in September of 1960, and was completed in August of 1962. It was dedicated a month later in September 16th. In 1963, the official name of the dam was changed by Congress to W. Kerr Scott Dam and Reservoir in honor of the former Governor and US Senator from North Carolina, William Kerr Scott. W. Kerr Scott was instrumental in obtaining approval for the construction of the dam and reservoir. He was also well known for his work as a farmer and dairymen and his interest in the development of water resources.