Shoreline Use Permit / License

A shoreline use permit/license is required for all-private activities and facilities on public lands and waters owned by the Corps of Engineers at John H. Kerr Reservoir. These activities and facilities include, but are not limited to, vegetation modification, erosion control, and the placement of floating and land-base facilities. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and have legal deeded access.

Applicants wishing to apply should contact the Visitor Assistance Center at (434) 738-6143. Shoreline Rangers work in the field therefore, are usually only in the office Monday-Friday between the hours of 8:00am to 9:00am and 3:30 to 4:30. See the Shoreline Management Plan for details. Applicants should allow up to three weeks to schedule appointments. No appointments are made on weekends or Holidays.

Attention Shoreline Customers with Hydrilla

The last few years Hydrilla at John H. Kerr Reservoir has extensively spread throughout the lake. Currently the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers allows shoreline customers who want to treat Hydrilla to do so. No permit is needed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers provided approved applicators are used. Contact the Visitor Assistance Center for a list of these contractors or click on the Aquatic Vegetation Applicators under the Natural Resources Link.

Remember trying to treat Hydrilla yourself is in violation of Title 36 Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter III Part 327, which could possibly lead to fines or imprisonment.

Why is shoreline vegetation important?